Will Moldy Hay Kill a Horse

No, moldy hay will not kill a horse. However, it can cause health problems if the horse eats it. Mold spores in hay can irritate the respiratory system of horses and cause conditions such as heaves or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).

Moldy hay may also contain mycotoxins that are toxic to horses and could potentially lead to liver damage or other serious issues if consumed in large amounts over time. For this reason, all hay should be checked for visible signs of mold before feeding it to your horse. If any mold is found on the hay, it should be discarded immediately and replaced with fresh feed instead.

Moldy hay can be a serious health hazard for horses, as it can potentially cause respiratory issues and even death. Horses should not be fed moldy hay, as the mycotoxins found in mold can have toxic effects on their bodies. In extreme cases, eating moldy hay has been known to kill horses due to organ failure caused by the ingestion of toxins from the mold.

If you suspect that your horse’s food may contain any traces of mold, it is best to err on the side of caution and discard it immediately in order to ensure their continued safety and well-being. If you went to know more about will moldy hay kill a horse, keep reading!

Identifying Moldy Horse Hay – General Horsey Information – Horsey Tips

What Can Happen If a Horse Eats Moldy Hay?

A horse eating moldy hay can be a very dangerous situation. Mold spores can lead to respiratory problems such as heaves, also known as recurrent airway obstruction (RAO). The horse’s lungs become inflamed and constricted, making it difficult to breathe.

In extreme cases, the inflammation of the lungs caused by mold spores can restrict oxygen intake enough that it causes death. Additionally, some molds produce mycotoxins which are poisonous and can cause neurological damage in horses if ingested over long periods of time. If your horse has eaten any moldy hay, then you should take them to a vet for an examination immediately so they can provide treatment if necessary.

Can Horses Eat Slightly Moldy Hay?

No, horses should never be fed slightly moldy hay. Mold can produce mycotoxins which are toxic to animals and may cause serious health problems such as liver damage, colic, respiratory issues, immunosuppression, and more. If you have a bale of hay that is slightly moldy, it is best to discard it rather than feed it to your horse.

Additionally, ensure that the hay you purchase for your horse is kept in a dry place and away from moisture so that mold does not form on the bales before they are used.

How Do I Know If My Horse Has Moldy Hay?

Moldy hay can be difficult to detect at first glance. To determine if your horse’s hay is moldy, look for visible signs of discoloration or a musty smell. If you see any discoloration or the hay smells off, then it’s likely that it has developed mold.

You should also feel and break apart the pieces of hay; if there are any dark spots or grayish areas, this could be an indication of mold growth. Additionally, look for small round pellets on the ground near your horse’s feeder, as these may indicate insect infestation, which often accompanies mold development in the hay.

What Happens If Animals Eat Moldy Hay?

If animals eat moldy hay, they can suffer from serious health problems. Moldy hay contains a variety of toxins that can cause irritation and inflammation in the digestive tract, leading to colic or other digestive issues. Additionally, consuming moldy hay can lead to respiratory disorders since it increases exposure to fungal spores, which are easily inhaled by animals.

In more severe cases, eating moldy hay may also result in liver damage as well as neurological disorders such as depression and seizures due to the presence of mycotoxins found in certain molds. As such, it is important for owners to discard any moldy hay and provide fresh feed for their animals instead.

Will Moldy Hay Kill a Horse

Credit: thehorse.com

Symptoms of Horse Eating Moldy Hay

One of the most common symptoms of horses eating moldy hay is colic. Colic can occur as a result of horses consuming mold spores from the hay, which irritate their digestive tract and can cause abdominal pain, bloating, and even diarrhea or constipation. Other symptoms may include decreased appetite, weight loss, lethargy, and uncoordinated movements.

Moldy hay should always be avoided when feeding horses to prevent these dangerous health issues.

Can Cows Eat Moldy Hay

Cows can safely eat moldy hay as long as the amount of mold present is not excessive and the hay does not smell bad. Mold on hay is usually caused by rain or high humidity levels, and it is generally harmless for cows to consume. However, if the mold has grown so much that it takes up a large portion of the bale, then it should be discarded since spoiled hay might contain toxins that could make your cows sick.

Will a Horse Eat Moldy Hay

Horses should not be fed moldy hay because it can lead to health problems such as colic, respiratory issues, and allergies. Mold spores in the hay can irritate the horse’s lungs and cause inflammation or other issues. Horses may also experience digestive upset if they consume too much moldy hay.

If you suspect that your hay is moldy, it is best to discard it rather than feed it to your horse.

Feeding Slightly Moldy Hay to Horses

Feeding slightly moldy hay to horses is generally not recommended, as the molds and fungi could cause respiratory irritation and other health issues. If moldy hay is fed, it should be done so in moderation and after careful inspection for any visible signs of contamination. Additionally, good ventilation should be provided while feeding moldy hay, as this will help reduce the risk of respiratory illness.

Can Moldy Hay Cause Colic

Yes, moldy hay can lead to colic in horses. When a horse consumes moldy hay, the mycotoxins that are produced by the fungi within the hay can enter the bloodstream and cause digestive issues such as abdominal pain and gas. If left untreated, these issues can contribute to more serious conditions such as colic.

It is important for owners to inspect their horses’ hay regularly for signs of mold or mildew before feeding it to them. Additionally, storing hay properly with adequate ventilation will help reduce the risk of problems caused by moldy hay.

What to Do With Moldy Hay

Moldy hay should not be used for animal feed as mold can cause serious health issues. If you find that your hay has become moldy, it is best to dispose of it and replace it with fresh, dry hay. It is important to store hay in a dry place, away from any moisture sources such as rain or condensation, to avoid having to throw out moldy hay.

What to Do If Horse Eats Moldy Hay

If your horse has eaten moldy hay, it is important to act quickly. Contact a veterinarian right away and provide them with details about the type of hay consumed, how much was eaten, and any visible signs of illness that may be present in the animal. Depending on your horse’s condition, the vet may recommend providing additional feed or fluids to help flush out any toxins from their system; they may also suggest administering medication if necessary.

It is crucial to remove all moldy hay from your horses’ environment and replace it with fresh feed in order to prevent further contamination.


In conclusion, moldy hay can be dangerous for horses and should not be fed to them. Even if the horse appears healthy after consuming it, long-term damage may occur. Therefore, it is essential that all hay given to horses is checked for visible mold growth before feeding it.

If any mold or fungi are found on the hay, then the best course of action is to discard it immediately and provide a safe alternative feed source for your horse. Thank you for reading our post about will moldy hay kill a horse.

Leave a Comment